Metropolitan Ballet Theatre provides students in our Academy various performing opportunities depending on the student’s age, ability, and interest.
Professional productions: MBT performs two full-length ballets annually at the Robert E. Parilla Performing Arts Center, Montgomery College, Rockville
- The Nutcracker Production – since 1989, MBT has been performing a full-length production of The Nutcracker. All students age 7+ enrolled in the Academy are invited to audition in September, and all auditioning students are cast in a role. Students will dance alongside professionals. (typically 10 performances)
- Spring Ballet Production – the Spring Ballet varies annually, and has included Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Coppelia, Swan Lake, The Firebird, Thumbelina, the original Becoming Sugar Plum, and other works. All ballet students age 8+ in Academic Ballet Level 2 or higher in MBT’s Academy are invited to audition in December, and all auditioning students are cast in a role. Students will dance alongside professionals. (typically 4-5 performances).
New for 2017-2018 season: The Nutcracker Suite at the MBT Black Box Studio Theater
- The Nutcracker Suite – Geared to younger audiences, this performance will be held in the intimate 60-seat MBT Black Box Studio Theater, where children in the audience can get closer to the dancers in the show, and patrons are invited to stay after to meet the cast. All students in The Nutcracker enrolled in Academic Ballet Level 6 or higher in the Academy are invited to participate. (4 performances)
Gala Performance: new venue for 2018 – Our Lady of Good Counsel Performing Arts Center
- All students have an opportunity to perform on-stage. Upper level students will be cast in new pieces choreographed by faculty and/or student finalists in the annual choreography competition, and will be required to take on additional rehearsals. Younger students will demonstrate class combinations on stage, and no additional rehearsals are required except for a dress rehearsal the week of the performance.
Outreach performances: various venues
- The Metropolitan Ballet Ensemble, MBT’s professional performing company, performs dance outreach at schools and other venues across the Montgomery County region, as well as more intimate performances at the MBT Black Box Studio Theater.
- Academy students, particularly upper level students, are invited to participate in outreach performances throughout the community several times per year at senior residential facilities, community festivals, and at school events.